[R] fread transforms numbers

Santosh santosh2005 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 16:52:55 CET 2017

Hi

I have been using "fread" utility of "data.table" packge .. on a dataset of
about 20 million rows. It's a fantastic package to read datasets. Thank
you, Matt D.

However, I am faced with a peculiar instance of  certain numbers in a
column being transformed.

In the dataset, a column has values ranging from 1 to 9##########
(nchar(x)=11, e.g. 98765432109). After using "fread" to read the dataset,
values in all the columns are displayed correctly upto the first 1000 rows.
If "fread" is applied for reading >1000 rows of  the total of 20Million
rows, the values in only this (column (having wide range of values) are
displayed as x.xxxxxxxe-3yy. (e.g. 3.5639877e-324)

I tried reading all the columns as "character" and didn't help.

Would highly appreciate your assistance!

Thanks so much in advance.

Best regards,
Santosh

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]