[R] Extracting time-series data from netCDF file for a defined period using ncdf4 package

Ben Tupper btupper at bigelow.org
Thu Mar 23 15:12:26 CET 2017

Hi,

You problem as stated certainly is puzzling since you have one NCDF file but 'time units are different'.  I don't know what to make of that.

If you had a simpler case where data are dimensioned as [x,y,t] then you can convert dates to index use in ncdf4::ncvar_get()

I would start with a look-up-table of the dates in the file.

lut <- seq(from = as.Date("1850-01-01"), to = as.Date(Sys.Date()), by = 'day')

The use base::findInterval() to convert your start/stop dates to indices.

mine <- as.Date(c("1971-01-01", "1990-03-01"))

startstop <- findInterval(mine, lut)

Is that at all close to what you seek?
Ben