[R] Presentation Quality Tables, e.g., Ten rows, Five columns, with nice headers

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Sun Mar 26 20:45:09 CEST 2017

I will assume that a "quality table" is a LaTeX tabular environment,
possibly with some
nested row or column structures.  For that I recommend the latex
function in the Hmisc
package.  The examples in ?latex are simple.  Quite complex
structures, for example, with
nested sets of labled rows and columns, can be built by using some of
the many optional
arguments.  The resulting .tex file can be input into your larger .tex file.

The default settings use the system latex command to build and immediately
display a dvi file of the table (or other R object).
For Mac or WIndows I use pdflatex to build and display a pdf file.  This needs
options(latexcmd='pdflatex');options(dviExtension='pdf');options(xdvicmd='open')
Some linux versions will need a different value for the xdvicmd
option.  See ?latex
for discussion of options.

You can embed R graphics into your table using the microplot package.
See the examples,
vignette, and demos for details.  Microplots can be use to place
graphics in html files and
other file types.

Rich