[R] Splitting on metacharacters

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Tue Mar 28 20:08:30 CEST 2017

What you are seeing when printing depends on how you do it (and it can be confusing).  Try this, type the following lines exactly (or copy and paste)  and carefully study the results.  In particular, compare the results of cat(s,'\n') with the results of strsplit(s, '"') .

cat(s,'\n')
'"'    # single quote, double quote, single quote

strsplit(s, '"')

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel Nordlund, PhD
Research and Data Analysis Division
Services & Enterprise Support Administration