[R] A question on modeling brain growth using GAM

Leon Lee bhamlion78 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 15:56:55 CEST 2017

David

Thank you for your reply. I apologize if I posted in the wrong forum, as I
really couldn't decide which forum is the best place for my question and I
saw similar questions asked before in this forum.

I agree that a sample of ~30 subjects (70 scans in total), the model can be
too complicated. Based on that, I did the following:
(1) ignored the gender effect, as we have less females than males.
(2) corrected chronological age based on their gestational age, that is, we
subtracted an infant's chronological age by 2 weeks, if the infant's
gestational age is 38 weeks instead of 40weeks.

When I ran the model with corrected age, gestational age and their
interactions modeled, I found the main effect of gestational age and the
interaction between the two are gone.

So, my final model will look something like this:
gamObj=gam(brainVolume~ s(correctedAge) +  s(subjIndexF, bs="re"),
method="REML", data=mydata)

Does this look more reasonable? Yes, I am relatively new to the mixed
model. We originally applied functional data analysis (PACE) on the data,
but want to see the results using a different approach. Also, I couldn't
find the Mixed Models list, do you mind sending me a link?

Thank you!
Longchuan