[R] fisher.test function error

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Mar 30 17:29:07 CEST 2017

> On Mar 30, 2017, at 2:51 AM, Eshi Vaz <eshithasunithi2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> When trying to computer a fisher’s exact test using the fisher.test function from the gmodels() package, R-Studio gave me an error:

Seems unlikely that Rstudio would generate an error message about R code. It's just  a shell around the R interpreter.

> Bug in FEXACT: gave negative key.

I do not see the word "key" in any of the error messages from stats::fisher.test. Error message do not generally use the word "bug" either. You should post the exact error message copied from the console display,

> I used a workspace of 2e+07. I would really appreciate your help as I do not know how to resolve the issue, especially because I am a novice at R-Programming.

What is needed is the exact code used and some sort of effort at delivering a reproducible example. The function fisher.test is most likely not from the gmodels package but rather from the stats-package. You should be able to see this by typing this at the console:

fisher.test
# when I do this  I see `<environment: namespace:stats>` as the last line
# ... and there is no fisher.test in the gmodels Index page

Please read the Posting Guide and see if you can respond with a reproducible example. Postings to Rhelp should be in plain text, since postings in HTML are likely to be corrupted.

Best;
David.