[R] Difference between R for the Mac and for Windows

John McKown john.archie.mckown at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 19:28:25 CEST 2017

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 12:15 PM, Berend Hasselman <bhh at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I have noted a difference between R on macOS en on Kubuntu Trusty (64bits)
> with complex division.
> I don't know what would happen R on Windows.
>
> R.3.3.3:
>
> macOS (10.11.6)
> -----------------
> > (1+2i)/0
> [1] NaN+NaNi
> > (-1+2i)/0
> [1] NaN+NaNi
> >
> > 1i/0
> [1] NaN+NaNi
> > 1i/(0+0i)
> [1] NaN+NaNi
>

> KubuntuTrusty
> -----------------
> > (1+2i)/0
> [1] Inf+Infi
> > (-1+2i)/0
> [1] -Inf+Infi
> >
> > 1i/0
> [1] NaN+Infi
> > 1i/(0+0i)
> [1] NaN+Infi
>
> Interesting to see what R on Windows delivers.

​> (1+2i)/0
[1] Inf+Infi
> (-1+2i)/0
[1] -Inf+Infi
> 1i/0
[1] NaN+Infi
> 1i/(0+0i)
[1] NaN+Infi
> Sys.info()
                     sysname                      release
                   "Windows"                      "7 x64"
                     version                     nodename
"build 7601, Service Pack 1"                 "IT-JMCKOWN"
                     machine                        login
                    "x86-64"                "John.Mckown"
                        user               effective_user
               "John.Mckown"                "John.Mckown"

Same as Kubuntu. I am _guessing_ that the MacOS somehow sets up the
floating point processing to work differently, since they are all on Intel
machines nowadays. Or the R was customized to detect division by zero in
software and not really do any floating point processing at all.
​

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]