[R] Taking the sum of only some columns of a data frame

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Mar 31 23:49:16 CEST 2017

You can also look at the knitr-RMarkdown work flow, or the knitr-latex work flow. In both of these it is reasonable to convert your data frame to a temporary character-only form purely for output purposes. However, one can usually use an existing function to push your results out without damaging your working data.

It is important to separate your data from your output because mixing results (totals) with data makes using the data further extremely difficult. Mixing them is one of the major flaws of the spreadsheet model of computation, and it causes problems there as well as in R.