[R] functions similar to glm

Bruce Ratner PhD br at dmstat1.com
Thu May 11 16:57:12 CEST 2017

Dear David:
Thank you for your excellent reply.
Apparently, you are a in the know.
Again, thanks.
Bruce

______________
Bruce Ratner PhD
The Significant Statistician™
(516) 791-3544
Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net

> On May 11, 2017, at 10:53 AM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On May 11, 2017, at 6:31 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <br at dmstat1.com> wrote:
>>
>> Bert:
>> Not clear to me.
>> Where mentioned are the functions similar to glm, if you please?
>
> The basis for the similarity was stated as having an available link function (and I suspected, an inverse as well.) I, for one, wouldn't have been surprised if `lm` were not in the list because `glm` with a 'gaussian' link would provide the same capabilities.   I read the basis as stating that a family-object be available (an object with the features described on the `?family` page. If I were correct, then running `methods(family)` would provide a list of the family objects that are available for loaded packages:
>
>> methods("family")
> [1] family.glm*    family.lm*     family.negbin*
> see '?methods' for accessing help and source code
>
> So lm would qualify as well.
>
>> require(lme4)
>> methods("family")
> [1] family.glm*     family.glmResp* family.lm*      family.lmResp*  family.merMod*
> [6] family.negbin*  family.nlsResp*
> see '?methods' for accessing help and source code
>
> Following Bert's advice (and so reading the manual for you), I find that Vincent Calcagno has stated the criterion somewhat differently in "Using glmulti with any type of statistical model, with examples."
> #--------
> glmulti works outof-the-box with several types of function (such as lm, glm or coxph), but it can in principle be used with any such function `my
ttingfunction`, as long as
> 1. The function receives a model speci
cation in the form of a formula;
> 2. The function
ts the model by maximum likelihood, which can be accessed through the standard `LogLik` function;

> Even when the two conditions above are veri
ed, complications arise because, unfortunately, dierent
tting functions have dierent conventions regarding how characteristics of the
t should be accessed. Indeed, most of them come from dierent packages with dierent authors and there is no common standard so far.