[R] [FORGED] Re: display double dot over character in plotmath?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun May 14 02:54:35 CEST 2017

On 14/05/17 06:10, David Winsemius wrote:

>> On May 13, 2017, at 5:47 AM, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at email.com> wrote:

>>> You haven't told what OS you are using, but with Windows OS, you can get
>>> the 'ä' by making sure the NUMLOCK key is on, hold down the alt key and
>>> press 0228 on the numeric keypad.
>>>

>> I am sorry, I use a linux operating system. I use Fedora 25 but the student I wanted to show this uses Ubuntu, though I don't know if the distribution matters.
>
> On a Mac it is cmd-u followed by the vowel of your choice. Perhaps you should do a google search on the topic of getting umlauted characters for the distro of your choice?

Well, Linux is not Mac.  For which I am everlastingly thankful.

I believe the following works on both Fedora and Ubuntu:

(1) First add/set a "compose" key:

In my current system (Ubuntu 16.04.2; Mate Desktop 1.12.1) the sequence
of clicks is:

System -> Control Center -> Keyboard -> Layouts -> Options
        -> Position of Compose key -> [e.g.] Left Win

Clicking on "Left Win" inserts a tick mark in the little white box.  On
my keyboard the "Left Win" key is to the left of the "Alt" key, which is
to the left of the space bar.  It displays the (yeuchh!!!) Windoze
symbol, a distorted window in black and white.  This key is totally
useless for anything else, so one might as well use it for the compose key.

     ' <compose key> a " ' gives  ' ä '.

Note: Do *not* hold the compose key down while pressing the other
keys.  Press the compose key and release it; then press "a" (nothing
appears) then press ' " ' --- and bingo, ä appears.

HTH

cheers,

Rolf Turner

P. S.  Of course you just need to do the "set a compose key" bizzo
*once* and then it is set and works forever more.  Until you change or
bugger up your OS. :-)

R. T.

--
Technical Editor ANZJS