[R] Odd results from rpart classification tree

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Mon May 15 14:43:11 CEST 2017

You are mixing up two of the steps in rpart.  1: how to find the best candidate split and
2: evaluation of that split.

With the "class" method we use the information or Gini criteria for step 1.  The code
finds a worthwhile candidate split at 0.5 using exactly the calculations you outline.  For
step 2 the criteria is the "decision theory" loss.  In your data the estimated rate is 0
for the left node and 15/45 = .333 for the right node.  As a decision rule both predict
y=0 (since both are < 1/2).  The split predicts 0 on the left and 0 on the right, so does
nothing.

The CART book (Brieman, Freidman, Olshen and Stone) on which rpart is based highlights the
difference between odds-regression (for which the final prediction is a percent, and error
is Gini) and classification.  For the former treat y as continuous.

Terry T.