[R] optimx and follow.on=TRUE... does not follow

J C Nash profjcnash at gmail.com
Wed May 17 19:08:05 CEST 2017

"follow-on" is one of the main reasons I stopped work on optimx and refactored to optimr/optimrx, where I
separated this functionality into the polyopt() function. optimr has just a few solvers, while optimrx is used to
add them as I get round to doing it, but it's on R-forge. Mainly a matter of avoiding "your package
fails" when some dependency goes sick.

I am grateful that this posting has come, as I noted the Rd function for polyopt() had not been
completed. It is now mostly fixed on R-forge. I will do CRAN version when more tests are completed on
polyopt(). I'd be grateful for any feedback from users.

Marc: Can you try the polyopt from optimrx? I'll be happy to help with it, as I feel much more confident
there aren't collisions with other parts of the code. I tried and failed to fix optimx for the
kind of issue you found because there were (as far as I could determine) options that were incompatible.
I believe Ravi and I tried to go a step too far to integrate all the features in one function.

I'm hoping that polyopt doesn't truncate as you experienced, and am also willing to help sort that out.
I made the example in the polyopt manual page dump the function value at each evaluation, and the "best"
NM solution was passed to Rvmmin OK. But that is, after all, just one test.

Perhaps we should go off-list to work this out, then report back.

Best, JN