[R] Compiling R with zlib in non-standard location

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue May 23 18:50:57 CEST 2017

> On May 23, 2017, at 11:07 AM, David Chin <david.chin.work at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to compile R 3.4.0 on a RHEL 6.5 system. R requires a newer
> version of zlib than is standard on RHEL 6.5. I do have a newer version
> that satisfies R's requirement, but the configure script gives no way of
> specifying a non-standard location of zlib.
>
> Is there a way around this? Or should I try to make a feature request?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>    Dave

Hi,

This was recently asked here:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2017-April/074157.html

Martyn provided a resolution in the follow up post, including a pointer to the EPEL, where there are pre-compiled RPMs for R.

For future reference, there is a dedicated e-mail list for queries pertaining to R on RH/Fedora based distributions: