[R] Compiling R with zlib in non-standard location

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue May 23 19:41:36 CEST 2017

Hi David,

It has been a while since I have worked on RH based systems, but looking at Martyn's reply, which includes:

CFLAGS="-g -O2 -I/path/to/my/headers" \
LDFLAGS="-L/path/to/my/libs" \
./configure

and references to the R Installation and Administration manual sections B3.3 and B7, if you used the lines verbatim as above, you will likely need to explicitly 'export' the two flag variables. Thus try:

export CFLAGS="-g -O2 -I/path/to/my/headers" \
export LDFLAGS="-L/path/to/my/libs" \
./configure

Using 'export' will ensure that the environment variables are also passed down to child processes started within the current shell session, which may be where it is failing.

See if that works. If not, subscribe to and post a new thread to R-SIG-Fedora, as there will be a focused audience there.

Regards,

Marc