[R] seek non-black box alternative to randomForest

Don McKenzie dmck at u.washington.edu
Tue May 30 21:11:19 CEST 2017

Though off-topic for this list, your question (complaint?) comes up a lot in discussions of analytical methods, and has generated hundreds of papers (Google is your friend here).
You can start with

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-GLM-vs-Random-forest-vs-SVM <https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-GLM-vs-Random-forest-vs-SVM>

for some of the controversies.  It looks to me as if your editor stated (poorly) the problem that some models that are good at pattern-matching (RF) are less useful for predicting new observations.

Others n the list who are more erudite than I may choose to comment, amplify, or refute...