[R] run r script in r-fiddle

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 1 09:05:00 CET 2017

    > Dear List, According to datacamp support team,
    > r-fiddle.org is not supported. We asked them to put it
    > down as Professor Maechler suggested it is a waste of time
    > for the R-help to respond to questions on something not
    > maintained and severely outdated. If you would like to use
    > R from your browser, you can embed the following into a
    > web page:

    > <script
    > src="https://cdn.datacamp.com/datacamp-light-latest.min.js"></script>

    > Currently, it supports R 3.4.0. See the code base, which
    > is open source, here
    > https://github.com/datacamp/datacamp-light

    > Hope it helps.
    > Best, Mehmet

Yes, it does!
Thank you very much, Mehmet, for reaching out to get these
clarifications and reporting back here.

I'm glad to be notified that datacamp seems to adhere to an open source
philosophy also in the tools they write: For datacamp-light they
_do_ adhere (*) to the much more strict
GNU Public Licence (GPL) Free Software standard which emphasizes not
only the free availability of source code, but also other
freedoms, e.g., to *modify* and re-distribute under the GPL, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL for much more.

An open Github repos alone is _no_ guarantee for that, and
unfortunately I think there's much software there where authors
don't care (or don't want) to use a "truly" free software
licence such as
(*) https://github.com/datacamp/datacamp-light/blob/master/LICENSE.md

Best,
Martin Maechler