[R] R-3.4.2: make check stops at line 698 of tests/reg-tests-1d.R

Albrecht Kauffmann alkauffm at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 1 17:02:53 CET 2017

Dear Duncan,

Many thanks!

Am Mi, 1. Nov 2017, um 16:17, schrieb Duncan Murdoch:
> On 01/11/2017 8:11 AM, Albrecht Kauffmann wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > after compiling R-3.4.2 on opensuse leap 42.3, make check failed. Until
> > R-3.4.1 I never had a problem with these tests. No, the programm stops
> > at the following line of tests/reg-tests-1d.R:
> >
> >> ## available.packages() (not) caching in case of errors
> >> tools::assertWarning(ap1 <- available.packages(repos = "http://foo.bar"))
> >> tools::assertWarning(ap2 <- available.packages(repos = "http://foo.bar"))
> >      error in assertCondition(expr, "warning",
> >     .exprString = d.expr) :  Got simpleError evaluating of ap2 <-
> >     available.packages(repo  ...: wanted warning
> >
> > The error message is a result of:      ap2 <- available.packages(repos =
> > "http://foo.bar"),
> > not of the following condition in the test script:   stopifnot(nrow(ap1)
> > == 0, identical(ap1, ap2))  .
>
> What error message did you see?

after: R --vanilla <../R-3.4.2/tests/reg-tests-1d.R

I get

> ## available.packages() (not) caching in case of errors
> tools::assertWarning(ap1 <- available.packages(repos = "http://foo.bar"))
> tools::assertWarning(ap2 <- available.packages(repos = "http://foo.bar"))
   Error in assertCondition(expr, "warning", .exprString = d.expr) :
     Got simpleError during evaluating of ap2 <- available.packages(repo
      ...: wanted warning
     Calls: <Anonymous> -> assertCondition
     Evaluation stopped

> > ap1 <- available.packages(repos = "http://foo.bar") works well, but the
> > following line stops the program.
> >
> > After replacing "http://foo.bar" by "http://foo.poi" (every phrase
> > different from "bar" works well), reg-test-1d.R passed without error
> > message the interpreter.
> >
> > Has someone an idea why the original program code stops (only) at line
> > 698:
> > tools::assertWarning(ap2 <- available.packages(repos =
> > "http://foo.bar"))?
> >

> Perhaps your system is resolving foo.bar to a web address.  If I use a
> URL for a web page that doesn't have a repository, I still get a
> warning, but the text of the error may explain why you don't.

There was a message, maybe a warning, but I don't understand it. Now I
installed R-3.4.2 also on another PC; there it works fine. Do you have
an idea, what went wrong here?

Albrecht Kauffmann