[R] "prob" package alternative

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 23:17:10 CET 2017

> On Nov 1, 2017, at 12:51 PM, Tiby Kantrowitz <tlkantro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The prob package has been archived because it depends upon some other
> packages which have issues.
>
> However, such projects as Introduction to Probability and Statistics in R
> depend upon it for learning. There are a few other resources that also use
> it.
>
> Does anyone know of any workarounds?
>
> Someone at stack exchange mentioned using R 2.9.

I'm not sure I would trust that person. They seem a bit uninformed.

> However, that broke my
> RStudio (WSOD) and the dependent packages still wouldn't install, anyway.

The latest version of pkg-prob at the Archive directory of CRAN indicates that it was last updated within this year. The DESCRIPTION file indicates that it does not need compilation, but:

Depends: combinat, fAsianOptions

So there should be code in text files in its ../R directory which can be sourced from that directory.

~myuser_name$ ls /Users/../Downloads/prob/R
characteristicfunctions.r	simulation.r			utils-spaces.r
genData.R			spaces-examples.r		utils-subsets.r
misc.r				spaces-prob.r
prob.r				utils-events.r

Or you can install from source after downloading:

install.packages("~/Downloads/prob", repo=NULL,type="source")

# Success

>  library(prob)   # So does require having several other packages

Attaching package: ‘combinat’

The following object is masked from ‘package:utils’:

    combn

Attaching package: ‘timeDate’

The following object is masked from ‘package:cairoDevice’:

    Cairo

The following objects are masked from ‘package:PerformanceAnalytics’:

    kurtosis, skewness

Attaching package: ‘timeSeries’

The following object is masked from ‘package:zoo’:

    time<-

Rmetrics Package fBasics
Analysing Markets and calculating Basic Statistics
Copyright (C) 2005-2014 Rmetrics Association Zurich
Educational Software for Financial Engineering and Computational Science
Rmetrics is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
https://www.rmetrics.org --- Mail to: info at rmetrics.org

Rmetrics Package fOptions
Pricing and Evaluating Basic Options
https://www.rmetrics.org --- Mail to: info at rmetrics.org

Attaching package: ‘prob’

The following objects are masked from ‘package:dplyr’:

    intersect, setdiff, union

The following objects are masked from ‘package:base’:

    intersect, setdiff, union

> Tiby
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

A specific suggestion would be that you read the listinfo and the Posting Guide and learn to post in plain text.