[R] [R-pkgs] Release of ess 0.0.1

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 10 15:12:14 CET 2017

    > Thanks to all. Will consider this change in future releases.
    > -----------------------------------

    > Jorge Cimentada
    > *https://cimentadaj.github.io/ <https://cimentadaj.github.io/>*

    > On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Rainer Krug <rainer_krug at icloud.com>
    > wrote:

    >> On 9 Nov 2017, at 15:57, Sam Steingold <sds at gnu.org> wrote:
    >>
    >> * Jorge Cimentada <pvzragnqnw at tznvy.pbz> [2017-11-09 00:02:53 +0100]:
    >>
    >> I'm happy to announce the release of ess 0.0.1 a package designed to
    >> download data from the European Social Survey
    >>

    >> Given the existence of ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics -
    >> https://ess.r-project.org/) the package name "ess" seems unfortunate.
    >>

    >> Agreed. I would suggest to rename the package to avoid conflicts (ESS
    >> includes some R code, And I wouldn’t wonder if they would like to include
    >> it in a package?).

As a matter of fact, we (the ESS core developers) have e-chatted
about this and came to the conclusion that we could get along fine with
an unrelated R package called 'ess', notably as the acronym also
makes sense for the European Social Survey.

We'd like to ask the 'ess' package authors to add something like the
following to their ess/DESCRIPTION file:

  This package ess is named to match the European Social Survey (ESS).
  It is unrelated to the Emacs Speaks Statistics (ESS) project, an
  emacs-based Integrated Development Environment hosted at
  https://ess.r-project.org

and last but not least we have thought of 'reserving'  ESSR  as
the name of a CRAN package that we'd consider using for the R
part of ESS (there are others, considerably less used, notably
Julia, Stata and SAS).

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
for ESS core developers