[R] tcltk problems

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Nov 18 01:34:03 CET 2017

It recently came to my attention that my R installation no longer has
tcltk capability.

I can't figure out why or what to do about it.

I built R from source.  I configured using the "--with-tcltk" flag.  The
build and install *seemed* to go OK, but after realising I didn't have
tcltk capability I looked into config.log.

There I found:

> configure:39486: checking for tclConfig.sh
> configure:39519: result: no
> configure:39528: checking for tclConfig.sh in library (sub)directories
> configure:39549: result: no
> configure:39561: checking for tkConfig.sh
> configure:39594: result: no
> configure:39603: checking for tkConfig.sh in library (sub)directories
> configure:39624: result: no
> configure:39721: checking for tcl.h
> conftest.c:249:17: fatal error: tcl.h: No such file or directory
> compilation terminated.

I have tcl and tk (and the -dev versions) installed on my machine, and
they are apparently up-to-date).

Moreover if I do "locate tclConfig.sh" I get:

> /usr/lib/tcl8.6/tclConfig.sh
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/tcl8.6/tclConfig.sh

And likewise "locate tcl.h" produces:

> /usr/include/tcl8.6/tcl.h
> /usr/include/tcl8.6/tcl-private/generic/tcl.h

So why can't "configure" find these files, and how can I tell it where
to find them?

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 and my last install of R was of version 3.4.2.

My installation procedure always worked in the past ....

Thanks for any tips.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--