[R] How to produce rainfall maps

Stefano Sofia stefano.sofia at regione.marche.it
Thu Nov 23 09:04:34 CET 2017

Thank you Sarah and Mike for your explanations.
My final objective is to produce maps (png image or any kind of extension I can import in LaTeX) where rainfall data are interpolated, using the Inverse Distance method or Kriging.
My input file (pointfile.csv in the reported example) reports the station code, lat and long of the meteorological station and the rainfall value (which might be the cumulate of a week or ten days or the period I need to investigate). Here a small example:

Station_Code, Init_Year, Init_Month, Init_Day, Init_Hour, Init_Minute, Fin_Year, Fin_Month, Fin_Day, Fin_Hour, Fin_Minute, Rainfall_Cumulate, Long, Lat
1056,  2017 , 11 , 1 , 0 , 0 ,  2017 , 11 , 11 , 0 , 0 ,  28.40, 12.786904,  43.851849
1064,  2017 , 11 , 1 , 0 , 0 ,  2017 , 11 , 11 , 0 , 0 ,  27.20, 12.967556,  43.762669
1072,  2017 , 11 , 1 , 0 , 0 ,  2017 , 11 , 11 , 0 , 0 ,  21.80, 12.897710,  43.907555

As far as I can understand (as you can see, I am not an expert on GIS or any spatial topic)
- my input file pointfile.csv is in "observation-per-row form";
- I need a grid (file.asc) where I can interpolate my rainfall data (I can get it, a resolution of 1km will be enough for me)
- ggplot should produce the map I need; but where are the options for the interpolation method?

Again, any help will be appreciated.
Stefano

         (oo)
Stefano Sofia PhD
Area Meteorologica e  Area Nivologica - Centro Funzionale
Servizio Protezione Civile - Regione Marche
Via del Colle Ameno 5
60126 Torrette di Ancona, Ancona
Uff: 071 806 7743
E-mail: stefano.sofia at regione.marche.it