[R] Cannot start OpenBUGS from R2WinBugs

Lubo Larsson larssonlubo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 03:00:02 CET 2017

Hello,

I'm running R version 3.4.2 on Windows. I have a program written in
BUGS which I can successfully run from the R2WinBUGS package.

I would also like to try and use the same package to use OpenBUGS
(version 3.2.3) rather than WinBUGS.

The initial output looks ok (shown below), but the OpenBUGS executable
is never started. Instead I see a process running called
“BugsHelper.exe *32” in the Windows Task manager, and the R bugs()
call just hangs.

Can anyone suggest a reason why this is happening?

(Apologies if this should be on a more specialized list, but I did not
see one that looked any more suitable. Please anyone let me know
otherwise.)

Best,
John

Welcome to BRugs connected to OpenBUGS version 3.2.3
model is syntactically correct
data loaded
model compiled
Initializing chain 1: