[R] Scatterplot of many variables against a single variable

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Nov 27 15:52:59 CET 2017

You do not appear to have read the Posting Guide mentioned at the bottom if this and every posting on the mailing list.

Only a very few attachment types are allowed through the mailing list... and due to the way many email programs fail to identify them properly, even those few types may not make it through.

Also, this is a plain text email list... any time you send HTML-formatted email it gets converted to plain text with varying amounts of scrambling... you really need to tell your email program to send plain text format or we may see something very different than you saw when you sent it.

Luckily, R is a text based programing environment, so if you include a complete (with sample data), minimal (so we don't get lost looking at code you already have working), reproducible (so we can run it from scratch in our R environment) example of your problem in the main body of your plain text email, we should be able to help you efficiently. If you don't do that, we usually won't understand what your problem is and could either bounce useless emails back and forth or may just not reply at all.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example

[2] http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html

[3] https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/reprex/index.html (read the vignette)

On November 27, 2017 2:59:10 AM PST, Engin YILMAZ <ispanyolcom at gmail.com> wrote:
>Dear Berger and Jim
>
>Can you see my eviews example in the annex? (scattersample.jpg)
>
>Sincerely
>Engin

>> LOL. Great reply Jim.
>> (N.B. Jim's conclusion is "debatable" by a judicious choice of seed.
>e.g.
>> set.seed(79) suggests that making the request more readable will
>actually
>> lower the number of useful answers. :-))
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Jim Lemon <drjimlemon at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Engin,
>>> Sadly, your illustration was ambushed on the way to the list.
>Perhaps
>>> you want something like this:
>>>
>>> # proportion of useful answers to your request
>>> pua<-sort(runif(20))
>>> #legibility of your request
>>> lor<-sort(runif(20))+runif(20,-0.5,0.5)
>>> # is a data set provided?
>>> dsp<-sort(runif(20))+runif(20,-0.5,0.5)
>>> # generate a linear model for the above
>>> pua.lm<-lm(pua~lor+dsp)
>>> # get the coefficients
>>> pua.lm
>>>
>>> Call:
>>> lm(formula = pua ~ lor + dsp)
>>>
>>> Coefficients:
>>> (Intercept)          lor          dsp
>>>     0.1692       0.6132       0.3311
>>>
>>> plot(pua~lor,col="red",main="Proportion of useful answers by request
>>> quality")
>>> points(pua~dsp,col="blue",pch=2)
>>> abline(0.1692,0.6132,col="red")