[R] Data cleaning & Data preparation, what do R users want?

Robert Wilkins iwritecode2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:08:24 CET 2017

Christopher,

OK, well what about a range of functions in an R package that
automatically, with very little syntax, pulls in data from a variety of
formats (CSV, SQLite, and so on) and converts them to an R data frame. You
seem to be pointing to something like that.
Something like that, in some form or another, probably already exists,
though it might be either imperfect (not as user-friendly as possible) or
not well publicised, or both.
Or another tangent: your co-workers are not going to stop using Excel,
whether you like it or not, and many end-users are stuck in the exact same
position as you (co-workers who deliver the data in Excel). I will guess
that data stored in Excel tends to be dirty in somewhat predictable ways.
(And again, those other end-user's coworkers are not going to change their
behaviour). And so: a data munging tool that makes it as easy as possible
to clean up the data in Excel spreadsheets and export them to R data
frames. One prerequisite: an understanding of what tends to go wrong with
data with Excel ( the data in Excel tends to be dirty, but dirty in what
way?).

Thank you for your response Christopher. What state are you in?