[R] valid package repositories

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 21:00:37 CEST 2017

Here's my view on this:

CRAN = Comprehensive R Archive Network.  The "Archive" part is very
important - it "promises" the research community that R packages that
have ever been published on CRAN, and all the versions of each
package, will be available also in the future.  It requires quite a
bit for a package/code to disappear from CRAN, e.g. a package contains
code/data that is not allowed to be shared (due to licenses and
copyrights).  Not even the original developer/maintainer can remove a
package that has already been released on CRAN.  What we see at times,
a package is "archived" on CRAN (i.e. no longer available via
install.packages()), but the old package versions are still
distributed.  That CRAN protects us this way is extremely valuable to
the research community, open science, and reproducible research.  The
Bioconductor has a similar philosophy.

However convenient GitHub / GitLab / ... is for development etc, it
certainly does not provide scientific archiving - in that sense it is
no different than sharing packages on Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

/Henrik