[R] Quotation marks hinder for loop

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Oct 13 18:33:07 CEST 2017

> On Oct 13, 2017, at 6:50 AM, y tanaka <marineband2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear mailing list members,
>
> My question is maybe very basic, but I could not find the solution.
>
> I would like to do the following things
>
> 1)
> colnames(V1)[2] <- par$V2[1]
> colnames(V2)[2] <- par$V2[2]
> colnames(V3)[2] <- par$V2[3]
> colnames(V37)[2] <- par$V2[37]

You are making a basic error in planning your analysis. The items V1-V37 should be in a list. Then you just do something like this,

bigVlist <- mapply( function(x,y) {colnames(x)[2] <- y}, bigVlist, par$V2)

> 2)
> V1 <- V1[,-1]
> V2 <- V2[,-1]
> V3 <- V3[,-1]
> V37 <- V37[,-1]

bigVlist <- lapply( bigVlist , function(x) x[ , -1])

> 3)
> ms <- merge(V1,V2)
> ms <- merge(ms,V3)
> ms <- merge(ms,V4)
> ms <- merge(ms,V37)

ms <- do.call(merge, bigVlist)

If you had provided a sample of items with equivalent structure to your actual use case we might have been motivated to provide tested code.

> Since these codes take a lot of space in my R console and I am also afraid
> of making any mistakes while typing the codes, I would like to make this
> code simple by using for loop.
>
> I know that the assign function is useful and another code as follows
> worked well with it:
> for(i in 1:N_var){
>  assign(paste("V", i, sep=""), post_df[Nrange$start[i]:Nrange$end[i],])
> }
>
> However, I could not find how to apply for loop to 1) - 3) above.
>
> 1)
>> for (i in 1:N_var){
> +   assign(colnames(paste("V", i, sep=""))[2], par$V2[i])

You cannot embed extraction/indexing functions on the "lefthand side", i.e. the first argument, of an `assign(` operation.

--
David.