[R] A list of data frames and a list of colnames.

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 02:27:52 CEST 2017

This doesn't make sense to me:

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Ed Siefker <ebs15242 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a list of file names, and a list of data frames contained in those
> files.
>
> mynames <- list.files()

## a character vector of file names

mydata <- lapply(mynames, read.delim)

# A list of data frames

> Every file contains two columns.
>
> > colnames(mydata[[1]])
> [1] "Name"     "NumReads"

# Note that names() can be used instead of colnames()

> > colnames(mydata[[2]])
> [1] "Name"     "NumReads"

# Ditto

> I can set the colnames easily enough with a for loop.
>
> for (i in seq_along(mynames)) {
>     colnames(mydata[[i]])[2] <- mynames[i] ## again, names() can be used
> instead of colnames
> }
>
> You are naming the  the 2nd column of the ith data frame with the file
name of the file from which the data frame was read. Is this really what
you want to do? Or have I misunderstood or erred?

Cheers,
Bert

Is there a nicer way to do this?