[R] How to save and restore a workspace

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Oct 24 02:46:45 CEST 2017

To be specific, the effect of loading packages with the "library" function is NOT saved when you save the workspace... and if you come back much later after you have updated some packages the old saved objects may not work well with those new packages. At the very least you have to re-load all necessary packages yourself before you load a saved workspace. Many users avoid ever using the "save workspace" option because it can cause old mistakes to come back and haunt you later.

This kind of issue has lead me to become quite systematic about writing R files (as Jim suggested below) that re-do all of my work on a given task (omitting the false starts needed to learn things) on each of my projects starting from a blank workspace. It may seem like a tedious approach to the beginner, but it is actually very comforting to know that I can look through every step and verify that it did what I wanted it to, without wondering how some particular intermediate result was computed six months ago and saved for later use. If one step is particularly slow, I may comment out (our put an "if" around) the statements that originally created and saved that object with saveRDS, and load it instead of recomputing it once I trust it. But the key is to always focus on building sequences of R statements, and later on building functions rather than poking and prodding a workspace like it was a spreadsheet.