[R] Problem Subsetting Rows that Have NA's

John jwd at surewest.net
Thu Oct 26 00:59:13 CEST 2017

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:05:01 -0400
BooBoo <booboo at gforcecable.com> wrote:

> This has every appearance of being a bug. If it is not a bug, can
> someone tell me what I am asking for when I ask for "x[x[,2]==0,]".
> Thanks.

As others have pointed out not a bug, but very "unintuitively"
explained in the documentation.  On the other hand, be glad it isn't
a .dbf file and that you are not using dBASE.  Ancient history of
course, but dBASE used to convert missing data (NAs) into 0s when you
weren't looking. If you were extremely unlucky and stuck in the role of
autodidact, your success in both noticing and identifying the problem
could be a long time coming.  In the meantime, your instructors might
be numerate, and point out rudely your inability to carry out even
simple calculations of averages, or they could be innumerate and
happily accept your mistakes as gospel because you included
"quantified" results in you paper.

Good luck.