[R] Scatterplot3d :: Rotating x tick labels by x degrees

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 22:13:34 CET 2017

> On Oct 31, 2017, at 8:55 AM, Olivier Crouzet <olivier.crouzet at univ-nantes.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> this should be related to the "las" argument of "par()" but
> actually it does not seem to be parametered in scatterplot3d.
> Searching the net for "scatterplot3d las" provides a link to:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25458652/specifying-the-orientation-of-the-axes-labels-in-scatterplot3d
>
> You may try the solution that is provided in this link or consider using
> alternate packages (like rgl or the plotly packages which one may be
> more powerfull as far as I can judge). However I can't help more. It
> seems ggplot does not produce 3d plots (but it looks like it can
> interact with plotly when using 3d plots).

Olivier;

The cited SO solutions (mine being the first one)  were addressing the request for rotated "axis"-labels rather than rotated "axtick"-labels, although the general strategy of looking at the code and using the `text`-function with xpd=TRUE (rather than the `mtext`-function where needed in the definitions of mytext and mytext2) should apply.

Alex;

I'd encourage you to demonstrate more initiative rather than expecting us to be on-call code servants.  I've decided to limit my gratis coding time to 15 minutes daily. I think this might take me an hour or more. I'm still available for on-list code review on this effort.

As a start, I'd suggest downloading the scatterplot3d package code and then open up scatterplot3d.R. Find the comment

## label tick marks

... and perhaps decide whether you need to use `text` rather than `mtext`. (`text` can rotate by any amount,
but may need "xpd" to be set TRUE. `mtext` is limited to 90 degree increments.) I've used up my time, so the next move is yours.
--
David.