[R] ISO3 code to 7 continents names

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Sep 7 21:56:34 CEST 2017

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Miluji Sb <milujisb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> df is a data frame consisting of one variable (iso3 codes) such as
>
> USA
> RUS
> ARG
> BGD
> ITA
> FRA
>

> Some of these iso3 codes are repeated and I would like the corresponding continent name, the countrycode package does not seem to distinguish between North and South America. Thanks.

Well it does actually: There are two different region codes:

First load the package that has countryExData. I'm presuming this is:

library(rworldmap)

> table(countryExData$EPI_regions)

   Central and Eastern Europ    East Asia and the Pacific                       Europe
                          19                           18                           24
   Latin America and Caribbe Middle East and North Africa                North America
                          24                           19                            2
                  South Asia           Sub-Saharan Africa
                           5                           38
> table(countryExData$GEO_subregion)

      Arabian Peninsula Australia + New Zealand               Caribbean
                      5                       2                       5
         Central Africa            Central Asia          Central Europe
                      6                       5                      16
         Eastern Africa          Eastern Europe                 Mashriq
                      7                       7                       4
           Meso America           North America          Northeast Asia
                      8                       2                       5
        Northern Africa           South America              South Asia
                      5                      11                       6
        South East Asia           South Pacific         Southern Africa
                      8                       3                      10
         Western Africa          Western Europe    Western Indian Ocean
                     13                      19                       2

Then create the described dataframe:

df<- data.frame(iso3=scan(what="") )
1: USA
2: RUS
3: ARG
4: BGD
5: ITA
6: FRA
7:
Read 6 items

>  region <- merge(countryExData,df,by.x='ISO3V10',by.y='iso3')$EPI_regions

> region
[1] "Latin America and Caribbe" "South Asia"                "Europe"
[4] "Europe"                    "Central and Eastern Europ" "North America"

--
David.