[R] How to add make option to package compilation?

Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen traxplayer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 14:30:53 CEST 2017

On 15 September 2017 at 14:13, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 15/09/2017 8:11 AM, Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I am installing a lot of packages to a new R installation and it takes
>> long time.
>>    However the machine got 4 cpus and most of the packages are written in
>> C/C++.
>>
>>    So is it possible to add a -j4 flag to the make command when I use the
>> install.packages() function?
>>    That will probably speed up the package installation process 390%.
>>

> See the Ncpus argument in ?install.packages.

Thanks.

However it looks like Ncpus=4 tries to compile four R packages at the same
time using one cpu for each packages.

From the documentation:
"
   Ncpus: the number of parallel processes to use for a parallel
          install of more than one source package.  Values greater than
          one are supported if the ‘make’ command specified by
          ‘Sys.getenv("MAKE", "make")’ accepts argument ‘-k -j Ncpus’
"

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]