[R] Information about compatibility R

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Apr 11 22:04:14 CEST 2018

Hi,

your question is nearly impossible to answer without actual testing of
your existing pipelines.  But from my soon 20-year usage of R, it's
clear to me that the R Core Team strives to keep things backward
compatible as far as they can.  The NEWS file:

  https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/NEWS.html

contains useful information on what's been updated in each release -
you can inspect that one from your own perspective.  There are also
12,000 packages on CRAN that are tested on old-release, current
release, and developers version of R.  Many of these packages rarely
gets updated, which indicates that these package work across a large
number of R versions (and platforms).

FYI, R 3.5.0 is being released on April 23, 2018.  You should aim to
install that version.   Also, on Linux it's not too hard to install
multiple R versions in parallel when you install from source.  Then
you can go back and forth between version whenever you'd like.

/Henrik