[R] Reasons to Use R in a Public Administrations and Ideas for a Short Training

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Thu Apr 19 17:10:02 CEST 2018

Dear Lorenzo,

First of all I would focus on topics which immediately usable by your
audience. E.g. making figures and tables based on preprocessed data
files (txt, Excel, GoogleSheets, data base query, ...). And pick
examples in which the definition of the figures and tables remains
more or less stable but the data is updated with some frequency. In a
next step you could focus on processing the data.

I would even skip the step of writing R scripts and start with basic R
notebooks. The ability to include both plain text and code into one
source document is very useful for repetitive tasks. And you
significantly reduce the need to copy/paste results.

Think about a list of packages which you can recommend to your
audience. I would consider the tidyverse collection.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE
AND FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no
more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be
able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data. ~ John Tukey