[R] Philip Morris International - Windows10 migration assessment

Eric Berger er|cjberger @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Aug 3 13:57:39 CEST 2018

Hi Kevin,
For what it's worth I use R on Windows 10 Pro with the 16299 build (and
also with a later build on a different Windows 10 Pro computer.)
I also use R on Linux machines (specifically Ubuntu).
I use 64 bit versions but both 32bit and 64bit version are available.
As Peter wrote previously, R itself has no dependency on MS Office products.
However there are thousands of R packages freely downloadable (e.g. from
CRAN but also from other sources.)
Some of these packages may have explicit dependencies on commercial
packages.
(e.g. Rmosek is a free package that makes it easy to access the commercial
optimization software mosek.)
Peter also wrote that the latest release of R is version 3.5.1 which makes
your referenced versions quite old.
As far as I know it is generally possible to install any version of R (even
multiple versions of R) on your computer.
For example, when R 3.5.0 was released recently some users experienced some
glitches (some of which have presumably been fixed in 3.5.1.)
Personally I am staying with R 3.4.2 for a while longer.

If PMI requires "commercial" support and has the budget for it, you might
consider contacting Rstudio.com which produces some of the major
software tools used by the R community - Rstudio and Shiny and additional R
packages. They provide both free and commercial versions of
RStudio and Shiny and should have a lot of experience dealing with
corporate customers. Also by supporting them PMI would be indirectly
supporting
the R community at large which greatly benefits from the work they do.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Eric Berger