[R] security using R at work

john matthew po|@@on200 @end|ng |rom goog|em@||@com
Thu Aug 9 10:44:31 CEST 2018

Hello Laurence.
Taking a pragmatic approach.

If the data is so valuable and secret but also needs some analysis in R,
here is suggested steps to minimise security risks.

1. Plan the analysis up front, what exactly what you want and the outcomes.
2. Take a laptop with Internet, install R and all packages needed for the
planned analysis.
3. Unplug ethernet and turn off blue tooth and wifi. So no internet access
at all.
4. Bring your secret data via USB or cd.
5. Perform the R analysis and export reports and figures etc to safe place.
6. Delete R, the data and all packages from laptop before using online
again.

A bit extreme and may still be some risk but its minimal as the analysis
was done offline, and you removed R etc after. But now have a set of R
results.

Just an idea.

John.