[R] security using R at work

Fritsch, Katharina (NNL) K@th@r|n@@Fr|t@ch @end|ng |rom nn|@co@uk
Thu Aug 9 10:24:15 CEST 2018

Hiya,
I work in a very security conscious organisation and we happily use R. The average user can only use R via RStudio Server, with a limited number of packages available, so that adds an additional level of control.
That said, are you sure that the sentence 'a few people on a mailing list said it would be alright' is going to convince your IT department of the harmlessness of R?
Cheers,
Katharina.

--

Dr Katharina Fritsch B.Sc. M.Sc. MRSC
Chemical Modeller, Chemical and Process Modelling

E.
katharina.fritsch using nnl.co.uk
T.
+44 (0)1925 289387
@uknnl

National Nuclear Laboratory Limited, 5th Floor, Chadwick House,
Birchwood Park, Warrington, WA3 6AE, UK

www.nnl.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help [mailto:r-help-bounces using r-project.org] On Behalf Of Laurence Clark
Sent: 08 August 2018 16:10
To: 'r-help using r-project.org'
Subject: [R] security using R at work

Hello all,

I want to download R and use it for work purposes. I hope to use it to analyse very sensitive data from our clients.

My question is:

If I install R on my work network computer, will the data ever leave our network? I need to know if the data goes anywhere other than our network, because this could compromise it's security. Is there is any chance the data could go to a server owned by 'R' or anything else that's not immediately obvious, but constitutes the data leaving our network?

Thank you

Laurence

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laurence Clark
Business Data Analyst
Account Management
Health Management Ltd

Mobile:                 07584 556498
Switchboard:    0845 504 1000
Email:          Laurence.Clark using healthmanltd.com
Web:            BLOCKEDhealthmanagement[.]co[.]ukBLOCKED

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender, and destroy all copies and the original message.<BR><BR>MAXIMUS People Services Limited is registered in England and Wales (registered number: 03752300); registered office: 202 - 206 Union Street, London, SE1 0LX, United Kingdom. The Centre for Health and Disability Assessments Ltd (registered number: 9072343) and Health Management Ltd (registered number: 4369949) are registered in England and Wales. The registered office for each is Ash House, The Broyle, Ringmer, East Sussex, BN8 5NN, United Kingdom. Remploy Limited is registered in England and Wales (registered number: 09457025); registered office: 18c Meridian East, Meridian Business Park, Leicester, Leicestershire, LE19 1WZ, United Kingdom.</font>