[R] Mysterious seg fault --- SOLVED

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Mon Aug 13 03:51:24 CEST 2018

OK everybody!  You can relax.  :-) I managed to spot the loony.  After
mucking around with valgrind, and before trying gdb, I had one more look
at my code and *finally* saw the stupid thing that I had been doing.

In the call to .Fortran() I had a line

     nphi=as.integer(nphi),

but "nphi" was nowhere defined (!!!) in the R code.  The name "nphi"
appeared as an argument in the Fortran subroutine in question, but was
nowhere actually *used*!!!

It seems that passing a non-existent value as an argument to a Fortran
subroutine can *sometimes* confuse it.  Understandably.

I think that this "nphi" was a left-over from an earlier version of the
code.  I must have changed the code so that nphi was no longer needed,
but then forgot to remove it from some places.  Psigh!  I hate myself
sometimes.

Anyhow, thanks to all those who took the time and made the effort to try
to help me.

cheers,

Rolf

--