[R] R shared library (/usr/lib64/R/lib/libR.so) not found.

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Thu Aug 23 13:34:38 CEST 2018

On 08/23/2018 11:09 PM, Jan T Kim via R-help wrote:

> Hi Rolf & All,
>
> I haven't built R in a while, but my general expectation of an
> autotools based build & install would be that the default prefix
> is /usr/local, rather than /usr. So I'd expect the shared libs
> in /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/lib64 etc.

I guess I should have said --- I did

     sudo make prefix=/usr install

which puts stuff into /usr rather than into /usr/local.

I forget exactly why I chose (in the dim distant past) to do this ...
I have a vague recollection that my search path was more "comfortable"
that way.

> I also have a recollection that I once installed Rstudio for some
> MOOC, and ended up putting a symlink in somewhere like /usr/lib* ,
> because Rstudio was only available as a binary with the location
> of the shared lib hard-baked into it.

So it looks like a symlink might be the answer for me.

I would still like to know why /usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so was not refreshed
on the most recent build, but.

> Depending on your <various flags> this may be irrelevant, apologies
> in that case.

Not to worry.  Thanks for taking an interest.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Technical Editor ANZJS