[R] Unclear about the output from summary of ca.jo from package urca

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Aug 24 12:02:59 CEST 2018

Well, reading the code is not much harder than reading the papers (not that that helps much, been there...)

I don't actually know the answer, but the notation comes from this bit in ca.jo():

        if (spec == "longrun") {
            ZK <- cbind(x[-c((N - K + 1):N), ], 1)
            Lnotation <- K
        }
        else if (spec == "transitory") {
            ZK <- cbind(x[-N, ], 1)[K:(N - 1), ]
            Lnotation <- 1
        }
        colnames(ZK) <- c(paste(colnames(x), ".l", Lnotation,
            sep = ""), "constant")

(actually there are several such bits).

K=2 by default, so you get .l2 for the "longrun" spec and ".l1" for "transitory". So I would guess that studying the two specification formats from the help page might give the solution to the riddle eventually.

(Another issue is that the column names are clearly rubbish, only the row names make sense. The columns are eigenvectors sorted by eigenvalues which has no relation to the input columns. Presumably, they are just an artifact of the matrix operations.)

-pd