[R] installing R 3.5.1

Bogdan Tanasa t@n@@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Aug 25 16:27:20 CEST 2018

Dear Benoit, many thanks for your suggestions. Have a good weekend !

Message: 26
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 11:13:49 +0200
From: Benoit Vaillant <benoit.vaillant using no-log.org>
To: Bogdan Tanasa <tanasa using gmail.com>
Cc: r-help <r-help using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R] installing R 3.5.1

Hello Bogdan,

This reply is off topic for the list, appologies. This problem is more
r-sig-debian related (see below).

Though Berwin already mentionned a possible solution, here is another.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 06:28:59PM -0700, Bogdan Tanasa wrote:
> I am trying to install R 3.5.1 on my Ubuntu 14.04 system;

You are trying to install R (latest version) on a system that is
outdated by the latest LTS (16.04) and more than four years old
now. ;-)

If you go to: https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

You'll get some hints, like:
"R 3.5 packages for Ubuntu on i386 and amd64 are available for most
stable Desktop releases of Ubuntu until their official end of life
date. However, only the latest Long Term Support (LTS) release is
fully supported."

Note the *only the latest LTS* ;-)

You'll also get the r-sig-debian list link to report issues.

> Would you please advise, what shall I do next ? Thanks a lot !

If you have the time, upgrade your LTS by migrating your system from
14.04 to 16.04 and then 18.04 (Bionic Beaver).

Best regards,

--
Benoît

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]