[R] Bug (?): reading binary files in Windows 10

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil @ending from dcn@d@vi@@c@@u@
Thu Dec 6 16:41:33 CET 2018

AFAIK this receiver-side responsibility to specify the text/binary status of the file is particularly a problem with the "ftp://" protocol because it does not use MIME file encoding (which "http://" uses). MIME allows the sending end of the connection to communicate whether the file is text or binary, though it uses more bandwidth for the transfer. If the server offers you a choice in these days of high bandwidth connections, you may be better off sticking with http/https.

Note that MIME is not magic... if the sender is improperly configured then the client can potentially receive corrupt data. Fortunately the most typical MIME misconfigurations cause the file to be unchanged in all cases, leaving it to the receiver to deal with any text file newline decoding choice/task after the file transfer is completed.