[R] Width of a text

Duncan Murdoch murdoch@dunc@n @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Dec 12 19:42:32 CET 2018

On 12/12/2018 6:55 AM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In HTML there is a way to measure the width of a Text before printing it on
> screen as in https://www.w3schools.com/tags/canvas_measuretext.asp
>
> In R we have nchar() function which just measures the number of letters in
> a Text, but I wonder if we can measure the width of text as well.
>
> I have a shiny app where I need to print a text in an Area onto the screen
> which has a specific width, so some the texts are not showing within that
> area (overflowing), where some are though all of them have the equal number
> of letters.

Since Shiny displays in a web browser, it will be up to the web browser
to measure the text.  (How would R know the font, magnification, etc?)
You'll have to do this in Javascript.

If your R code needs to know the answer, Shiny provides a way to send
the result back to R.  It's not trivial, but you can read how to do it
here:  <https://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/js-send-message.html>.

Duncan Murdoch