[R] R plot split screen in uneven panels

Martin Maechler m@echler @ending from @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Thu Dec 13 11:14:12 CET 2018

    > Incidentally, here is another way to do what (I think) you asked using
    > layout():

    > m <- matrix(c(1,2,2), nrow =1)
    > layout(m)
    > plot(1:10, type = "p", main ="The First Plot")
    > plot(10:1, type = "l", main ="The Second Plot")

    > On my device, the plots use different size fonts, point sizes, etc. and so
    > aesthetically differ.

Really? -- Not at all for me [Linux default device =
X11(type="cairo")], where all these are identical on the left
and the right plot.

Such behavior seems like a bogous graphics device  or
bogous interaction with underlying libraries or ??

    > I do not know why and am too lazy to delve into the code.
    > Bert Gunter

Can you at least tell us a bit more, e.g.

  dev.capabilities()
?

Best, Martin