[R] Issues with R3.5.2

Martin Maechler m@echler @ending from @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Sun Dec 23 16:21:08 CET 2018

    > You could delete your 3.5 personal package library (using
    > the File Explorer with Run as Admin if necessary) and
    > re-install your packages without running as Admin. If that
    > does not work try uninstalling R and re-installing 3.5.1.

I tend to think that Jeff is right and you, Janh, *have* changed
something on your Windows box, or inadvertently during
installation of R.

I've tried our Windows Server installation (where I consciously do install
things as admin for all win server users to use it), and I can
install packages fine as simple user -- into the personal
library that is created after asking for user confirmation.

Also, given the number of R users and the (unfortunately still) high
percentage of Windows users among them,  I strongly assume we
would would have heard of it if this was a common problem..
(But then I may be wrong if the Windows users are "slow" to
 update their R version)

Martin

Merry Christmas!