[R] long vectors not supported yet

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 14 16:43:51 CET 2018

Hi,

I am running R 3.3.3 and getting the following error:

  Error in add_edges(res, edges = t(as.matrix(el[, 1:2])), attr = weight) :
    long vectors not supported yet: ../../src/include/Rinlinedfuns.h:138

when passing a 13 GB TransitionLayer object to shortestPath from the
package 'gdistance'.

The error, albeit in a different context, is discussed here:

  https://github.com/tidyverse/readr/issues/309
  https://github.com/tidyverse/readr/pull/433

However it is not clear to me quite what the fix was and what kind of
limit may still exist in subsequent R versions.

Is this a general problem/issue with R, or is this something more
package-specific which should be addressed on R-sig-Geo?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)