[R] how to search r-help?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Jan 19 22:33:54 CET 2018

> On Jan 19, 2018, at 1:47 PM, Mark Dwyer via R-help <r-help at r-project.org> wrote:
>
> I am new to this listand am unable to get the search tools listed on
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help towork. What do people use
> to search the help archives?
>
> 1. The google search box on http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/
>    returns a 404 error.
> 2. The http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ site has many references but I
>    don't see how to search r-help from there.
> 3. The http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@stat.math.ethz.ch/ site seems
>    to stop back in December 2007.
> 4. I cannot get anything useful from
>    http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Mark Dwyer

Hi Mark,

On the main R Project page (https://www.r-project.org) is a link menu on the left hand side, where one of the entries is "Search", which takes you to:

  https://www.r-project.org/search.html

On that page, one of the links is to rseek.org, which is the page that I use and have used for a number of years. It searches various locations of the R list archives and other online resources. Once you run a keyword search, if you select the "Support" tab, it will filter the search results to online documents and the list archives. The list archives will tend to be either from the Nabble site, which mirrors a subset of list archives, or from https://stat.ethz.ch which is the official R list archive server for all R lists.

Depending upon the keyword search, you may find that the list archive hits will be interspersed with other online resources, with a bias towards one or the other based upon the underlying Google algorithms being used.

Also, as an additional pointer, on the main R Project page is a link to "Getting Help", which takes you to:

  https://www.r-project.org/help.html

and provides a series of pointers relative to seeking help with R.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz