[R] What is the default covariance structure in the glmmPQL function (MASS package)?

Gerda Börner gerdaboerner at gmx.de
Wed Jan 31 10:35:32 CET 2018

Hello,

currently I am trying to fit a generalized linear mixed model using the
glmmPQL function in the MASS package. I am working with the data
provided by the book from Heck, Thomas and Tabata (2012) -
https://www.routledge.com/Multilevel-Modeling-of-Categorical-Outcomes-Using-IBM-SPSS/Heck-Thomas-Tabata/p/book/9781848729568

I was wondering, which variance-covariance structure the glmmPQL
function is using by default and if it is possible to vary the
variance-covariance structure with the glmmPQL function. Unfortunately I
couldn't manage to find out myself.
If it is possible to change it, could someone tell me how to do so? I am
especially interested in a diagonal structure versus an unstructured
variance-covariance structure.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Gerda