[R] Outputting variable names and their value bindings

Simon Ellis @elli@ @ending from v@@@@r@edu
Mon Jun 25 01:31:40 CEST 2018

Thank you for your reply.

At the moment, my colleague and her students are just using
zero-dimensional variables for output, no vectors or matrices, which does
make my life easier.

Since my code-glue parses through the scripts' code to substitute variables
as required, I could code a command to cause my system to emit a line to
get R to print something I could use.

I am sure this is a dumb question, but is there a reference manual for R
available online?

On 24 June 2018 at 16:14, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> Yes and no. R does not have a "Matlab-output-compatibility" mode, but you
> can write your script to output anything you want it to using the "cat"
> function with various functions like "sprintf" and "as.character". You may
> want to write some functions that format some common objects that you
> typically output. Then just make sure to use those functions instead of the
> standard "put an object alone on a line" method of printing.
>
> On June 24, 2018 11:00:51 AM PDT, Simon Ellis <sellis using vassar.edu> wrote:
> >Hullo,
> >
> >I'm writing a piece of scripting glue for a colleague who is doing
> >computations in several different languages. (It's the most convenient
> >way,
> >right now.) My system calls the relevant program (e.g. Rstudio, MATLAB)
> >with a path to a script, captures stdout and parses it for output
> >variables, which it stores in its own environment for use later on.
> >
> >This is easy with MATLAB, since it writes back the variable name with
> >its
> >value, e.g.:
> >
> >> freq = {somefunction}()
> >freq =
> >
> >    <value>
> >
> >All I have to do is look for lines with '=' on the end, then grab the
> >next
> >section of non-empty lines as the binding for the variable. Boom.
> >
> >With Rscript, if I write something like this:
> >
> >Rscript -e "a = (2 + 2)" -e "a"
> >
> >it prints
> >
> >[1] 4
> >
> >Is there any way to get R to print output similarly to MATLAB, in an x
> >= y
> >format?
> >
> >I have other solutions in mind, but they're all kludgy and I'd rather
> >not
> >have to. Please can someone save me from the kludge? :-D
> >
> >Thank you,
> >
> >~Simon Ellis
>
> --

Visiting Assistant Professor,
Department of Computer Science,
Vassar College,
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604

“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and
Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The
business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.” *--
G. K. Chesterton*

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]