[R] Problems with 3.5.0 package installation & knitr

Jochen Wirsing jw1085 @ending from wildc@t@@unh@edu
Mon Jun 25 20:24:28 CEST 2018

Dear r-help,

I updated to R 3.5.0 a few days ago and was really excited about the new
features it promised. Unfortunately, I ran into some serious trouble
relatively quickly.
The main problem is, that I cannot install packages that depend on other
packages.
The problem has been (wrongfully) posted here: https://community.rstudio.com/
t/r-3-5-0-problem-installing-libraries/10155/3
A possibly connected problem is described here: https://community.rstudio.com/
t/file-does-not-exist-error-possibly-connected-with-r-3-5-0-update/10153

Both problems occur under R 3.5.0 (vanilla) as well as RStudio (1.1.453) and
Antergos 18.04, as well as Win7.
The Antergos installation is brand new, the R installation in Win7 used to
work absolutely perfectly before the update to 3.5.0

I hope those issues can be resolved quickly.

Thank you very much!